What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognise and remember you. It is sent to your browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive or tablet or mobile device. When you visit our sites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
- Understanding how you use our site
Other organisations also collect user information on our sites through cookies, tags and pixels. Tags and pixels, also known as web beacons, are similar to cookies but are collected through embedded images.
Using cookies and other technology allows other organisations to help us to analyse how our site is being used, measure the number of visitors to the site, and display advertising.
Cookies that are used by Amo Web Designs are referred to as “first-party cookies” and those that are used by our partners are “third-party cookies”. Because of how cookies work, our website cannot access third-party cookies; nor can other organisations access the data in the cookies we use on our website. There are more details about both in the following sections.
What types of cookies do we use ?
We use four types of cookies, which we describe in this section.
- Performance – cookies which measure how often you visit our sites and how you use them. We use this information to get a better sense of how our users engage with our website and to improve our site, so that users have a better experience. For example, we collect information about which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users. We also use third-party cookies to help with performance. For example, the Google Analytics cookie gives us information such as your journey between pages (details of how to opt out of it are below).
- Advertising – cookies that are used to collect information about your visit to our site, the content you have viewed, the links you have followed and information about your browser, device and your IP address. We have set out more details on this below.
For example, we place a pixel on our web pages that allows Facebook to place cookies on web browsers. When a Amo Web Designs user who uses Facebook returns to Facebook, Facebook can identify them as part of a group of Amo Web Designs and on behalf of Amo Web Designs they can serve them with marketing messages from us. The data that can be obtained from a visit to Amo Web Designs is limited to the URL of the pages that have been visited, together with the limited information a browser might pass on, such as its IP address. If you are a Facebook user you can opt out by following the link below.
How to manage advertising cookies
You can find information about how to opt out of the cookies provided by our key partners at their websites. Our key partners are as follows:
- Google Analytics
- Facebook Pixel
You can switch some cookies off through the Your Online Choices site. You may need to do this again each time you use a different IP address or device.
It is also possible to stop your browser from accepting cookies altogether by changing your browser’s cookie settings. You can usually find these settings in the “options” or “preferences” menu of your browser. The following links may be helpful, or you can use the “Help” option in your browser.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari web and iOS
If you would like to find out more about privacy, cookies and their use on the internet, you may find the following links useful:
If you would like to contact us about cookies please email Hello@AmoWebDesigns.com.